Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The end is in sight!

I tried to update Tuesday afternoon, but got distracted and left my computer on the floor of Mattie's room for about 5 or 6 hours before we finally had to head back to Spring Hill. Now it is Wednesday night and I have been threatened by sweet ladies at church :) if I didn't get an update on, so here we go.

I'm doing my best not to get too excited about coming home as soon as I'm hoping but we can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. We came in Tuesday to find out both girls had been turned down to a low enough amount of Oxygen that they could come home on that level if the doctors decided to send them home on O2. When we walked in the alarms were going off and didn't quit going off for about 20 minutes. Normally alarms are a bad thing, but these alarms are set to go off when the girls aren't getting enough oxygen pumped through their body (which is bad) and when they are getting all the oxygen they need which is a good thing. Both girls were at 100% oxygen saturation. Basically, they were getting next to no extra flow of oxygen and doing great with it.

They still have several tests to pass and other hoops to jump through, but if they continue to do very well for 5-6 days with no "spells" where their oxygen saturation drops out, then they will be ready to come home. Thankfully, the doctor said today that she would like to finish getting them off O2 before sending us home if possible. Apparently, she feels like 2 oxygen tanks to carry around with 2 little girls in two car seats would just be a little 2 much for us to handle. Here is what to pray for now:

  1. Both girls will get MRI's on Friday, which makes us a little nervous just for the whole process anyway. Pray that they will be sound asleep so the procedure goes smoothly and that the MRI's show no new dead spots on either of the girl's brains

  2. Sophie's eyes to heal so she won't have to have laser surgery (not a huge deal but we'd rather slip out without surgery if we can) Their eye exams should be next Tuesday. As of the last one, Mattie's eyes had started to improve and she should be pretty well out of the water. Sophie's had gotten just a little worse.

  3. For both of the girls to come off oxygen before they come home. (that's more of a want for us than a need so pray for that one last:)

  4. Amber talked to Stacey a few nights ago and Crimson is doing great. He is over 4 lbs now so they got to raise the lid on his isolette. That was a huge deal for us and I know it is for them too. He also got to quit wearing a c-pap breathing machine and is on vapotherm like the girls had for so long. That is also a big step. And he gets to wear clothes now...which just makes parent feel a lot better:)

The first picture is Mattie and the second is Sophie. We thought you might enjoy video this time instead of just pictures. Even when we come home, it will have to be a pretty long time before people really get to meet the girls because their immune systems are so far behind, so we'll try to keep the videos and pics rolling.:)


  1. What precious pics and videos. We will definitely be praying for all to go well. It was great seeing you and Amber at church. We love you all and miss you.

  2. It's wonderful to hear how well your girls are doing! The pictures of them are so precious! We will keep praying!!

    Seth and Jill Bowen

  3. Thank you so much for the videos! They are great. Definitely praying. Love you.
    The Greenes

  4. It is so good to see the videos of the girls. You do realize you will need to hire a bouncer to keep the "little ladies" away once they get home. We do realize they will need time to improve.

  5. Loved the videos. They are absolutely precious. They look so healthy. Praying for you. Love, Overtons

  6. We are so glad the end is in sight! I know you all are ready to be home. Please, please let us know what we can do for you.
    -The Huffs