Well, we've been here since Tuesday afternoon now. (It's currently 7:30 Thursday night). We started with a routine checkup in Franklin on Tuesday without a thought given to the idea that something could go wrong...all the other checkups had gone perfectly. Now we are praying that the amniocentesis was effective and will buy more time in the womb for Mattie and Sophie. Without going into too much detail, Twin to Twin Transfusion sydrome is when twins share a placenta and because of some problems with the veins that run through the placenta, one twin doesn't recieve enough blood and nutrients and the other recieves too much. This presents itself when the twin recieving too much blood, the "receiver" (Mattie) has too much fluid in her sac and the baby not recieving enough, the "donor" (Sophie) doesn't have enough. Amniocentesis Reduction is a procedure to pull some fluid out of Mattie's sac in order to keep her from being overloaded and to give Sophie more space to move around, hopefully encouraging her to start producing fluid again.
The Amnio reduction went well yesterday and at first glance the heartbeats seemed to improve a little. They were already pretty good and the sizes and weights of both girls are fairly normal, so these are all good signs. Unfortunately, Mattie's heart beat still isn't exactly right, and they have not been able to confirm Sophie's bladder on ultrasound or through monitoring yet, and that is what we are waiting to learn tomorrow. From what I understand, if both girls are doing well, and Sophie is producing fluid, we will continue waiting with Amber on bed rest. (Not sure if that's at the hospital or at home). Every day the babies can stay in the womb safely increases the odds of health after birth. If Sophie is not producing fluid or if they are not responding well, the doctors will discuss how soon a c-section needs to be performed.
Amber has recieved two doses of steriods which will help jumpstart the girls lungs and other organs when they are born early. Basically, it's a game of trying to decide which environment is better for the girls at 28 weeks, in the womb or the NICU. Obviously, the first choice is to stay in the womb as long as it is safe for the girls. Either way though, we know God is in control and we're trusting in Him. If you see this tonight, please pray for the ultra sound to reveal Sophie's bladder and both girls practice breathing.
We have so much to be thankful for already and we look forward to thanking God for bringing us through all of this.